A massacre that claimed the lives of six people, Kapuso actor Dennis Trillo, and the Filipino Flash spiked on Yahoo! Search on October 17 to 23.
- Cebu Massacre. Pinoy netizens turned to Yahoo! for details of the shocking Cebu Massacre that killed six people. A 55-year old man shot dead his wife, their three children, and a household help before killing himself on October 16 in Talisay, Cebu. According to news reports, the 14-year-old survivor only learned about the death of her parents and sibling on Facebook. She survived the massacre because her father told her to fetch the police before he shoot himself.
- Dennis Trillo. Kapuso star Dennis Trillo appeared on the two-part anniversary special of the country’s longest running television gag show, “Bubble Gang.” After his controversial break up with Jennylyn Mercado, he is now being linked to his “”Sinner and Saint” co-star Bianca King. The two will appear in the October 29 episode of GMA-7’s “Spooky Nights.”
- Nonito Donaire Jr. The Filipino Flash, Nonito Donaire Jr, retained his World Boxing Council and World Boxing Organization bantamweight title after defeating via a unanimous decision Argentinian Omar Narvaez in a 12-round fight at The Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Two Filipina singers reportedly picked by Donaire from dozens of YouTube contestants performed before the bout: Tiffany Viray sang the Philippine national anthem, Lupang Hinirang, while Lianah Sta. Ana did her own rendition of the United States’ Star Spangled Banner.
- Christian Bautista. As singer and actor Christian Bautista turned 30, his fans online made him a trending topic on both Yahoo! Philippines and Twitter. Christian stars with Karylle in the Pan-Asian series “The Kitchen Musical,” which airs on free TV in the Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia, and on AXN in 16 other countries. He has just launched his first international album, “Outbound.”
- Albert Martinez. A week before his 50th birthday, an emotional Albert Martinez revealed that his wife Liezl Sumilang is again battling the Big C. A few years ago, Liezl was diagnosed with breast cancer and was eventually given a clean bill of health. Albert said he has been praying for her recovery. “We’ll make sure that whatever’s available out there in the market that can help you, we will do that, because you are more important than anything else in the world,” he said.
- Anne Curtis. 2011 must be Anne Curtis’ year, and this month is especially fruitful for her. “No Other Woman,” her movie with Derek Ramsay and Cristine Reyes, broke box office records; her album “Annebisyosa” hit gold record status; and she was declared champion in “Showtime” hosts’ anniversary showdown last week. But wait, there’s more: She also learned that German “Kuya Germs” Moreno gave her a star in Walk of Fame Philippines.
- Kris Aquino. Actress and presidential sister Kris Aquino has accepted the offer of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to be one of its honorary patrons. Kris said she’ll be Asia’s representative in the organization. UNHCR protects the rights and well-being of refugees worldwide.
- Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. A joint Department of Justice and Comelec fact-finding team recommended charges of electoral sabotage against former President and now Pampanga Representative Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and several others for allegedly rigging the 2007 senatorial elections. The panel however cleared her husband, Mike Arroyo, who promptly denied that his wife sabotaged the elections. A day before the DOJ served subpoena to the former president, the House of Representatives granted her a travel permit to be out of the country from October 22 to December 15 “to seek medical consultation with specialists.” Her doctors say Arroyo has hypoparathyroidism, a rare medical condition.
- Pilipinas Got Talent. Maasinhon Trio — composed of Andrew Sanchez, Bonifacio Salubre and Licinio Lolo of Southern Leyte — was declared the grand champion of “Pilipinas Got Talent” season 3 and brought home P2 million. Teenage singer Khalil Ramos — who also trended on Yahoo! and is popular among the youth in online social networks — and Bringas Brothers of Davao del Sur were the runners up. Grand finalist El Gamma Penumbra did not make it to the top three, but appeared to be a favorite among PGT viewers online as the group also trended on both Yahoo! and Twitter after the grand finals.
- Moro Islamic Liberation Front. As the Armed Forces of the Philippines began operations against criminal elements in Basilan on October 18, an encounter between the soldiers and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front erupted and killed nine rebels and 19 soldiers. More lives were lost in a series of separate atacks and clashes between the two forces in the following days in Zamboanga Sibugay, Basilan, and Lanao del Norte. Amid the fightings, certain sectors called for an all-out war against the MILF, with whom the government is having peace talks. President Aquino however maintained that “We will not pursue all-out war; we will instead pursue all-out justice.” Peace advocates say an all-out war may prove more costly.
To know the daily trending topics on Yahoo! Search, visit www.yahoo.com.ph.